If you want to help stop Health Care Reform as currently proposed then there are some important people that you need to contact. NOW, before August 1st.
Delay of voting is the goal. We need to get this right.
Below is a sample draft letter that you can edit and send as an email, fax or actual letter.
Please no rants or ravings.
These folks that I am asking that you write to have demonstrated a strong sense of responsibility and guts to try to do the right thing.
Moreover, most belong to a core group of Democrats called ‘Blue Dogs’. Blue Dog conservative Democrats are in positions of committee leadership in both the House and the Senate.
These Blue Dogs have already told President Obama that they are not happy. Their 44 votes and influence carries more weight and significance than all the members of the Party-of-No combined.
Please help them do the right thing for America by letting them know that you care and support their efforts to either get it right or to delay until we do.
RECOMMENDED DRAFT LETTER
Dear Senator/Congressman XXX,
I ask that you take your time and not rush through passing a health care reform bill just because President Obama has asked for one.
The cost and the scope of such legislation will have immense impact on America for years to come. Once passed, it would be unwieldly to amend or to repeal legislation that may not achieve its goals.
In pulling together any final legislation I ask that you consider the following five (5) objectives to make this ‘good for America’:
- — Little or no risk of this increasing America’s national debt. We already pay more than $560 billion per year in interest payments. Soon much of the principal of our debt will come due, most of it to foreign interests. Please do not put America further in debt to China and to other concerns which do not have our best interests at heart.
- — Fix the rising cost of health care. No band aids. Real fixes, please. In 1981, 8% of Americans went bankrupt due to health care issues; that number rose to 62% in 2007, with 3 out of 4 (78%) such bankruptcies being among folks that actually did have health care (BusinessWeek/Harvard, 6/2009). If reform does not have firm metrics and procedures for controlling health care costs then it is not change that we need.
- — Do not hurt small businesses. It is bad enough that small business has significant cash-flow problems due to the prolonged recession, but do not scuttle their chances for survival. The economic outlook over the next five years is challenging. Many small businesses are already on the brink. Help do not hurt.
- — NO non-health care riders! Please do not sell us one thing and slip in other non-health care related funding items.
- — Give us a chance to read and to understand what proposed legislation actually says. Rumor has it that the legislation is already more than 1,000 pages long. Please give America at least one additional day per every 25 pages of legislation so that we can read and understand why we are committing to the expenditure of more than $1 trillion.
Your City & State
Please contact soonest:
Senator Max Baucus (D-MT)
511 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
Congressman Mike Ross (D-AR)
House Energy and Commerce Committee
2436 Rayburn House Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-1314 Fax
Congressman Henry Waxman (D-CA)
2204 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Fax (202) 225-4099
Congressman John Larson (D-CT)
106 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515
Ph: (202) 225-2265
Fx: (202) 225-1031
You should also write to your own Congressman and Senator.
Please NO RANTS. You will just come across as another lunatic … and they will ignore you. Give them talking points and a smile. Most of these folks are honest and in Washington for the right reasons. (Even if they are not, no one listens to rants or lunatics).
Get contact info for your Congressman or Senator at:
Learn more about Blue Dog Democrats at http://www.house.gov/melancon/BlueDogs/
If you have the time, writing to each of these Blue Dogs would help. A master list of all official Blue Dogs: http://www.house.gov/melancon/BlueDogs/Member%20Page.html